Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Writing Style"

"The most important thing to remember is to punch the keys. If you punch the keys there's a greater chance you will feel the need to put the words that matter most on paper."

I've always felt that the first draft is the most important part of your essay. For me it's an experience rather like watching a movie for the first time, i never really know where it will end up.I suppose, a good writer would have an idea of where he's going to end up when it's over. Where's the adventure in that?

For assignments however, I put great emphasis on the preparation aspect of the writing process. If a writer is knowledgeable on the subject then he will have confidence in his words and the message they are striving to convey. Writing, like life, is filled with data that must be filtered through to find the most effective pieces for your current project.The strength of your final paper is almost always directly related to your research on the topic.

As I write, I tend to correct my work as i go along and always find that to be insufficient. For me, a second set of eyes works well and getting another opinion on your work isn't bad either.For my History papers, which i take great pride in, the first draft often contains much less than the final paper will. That first draft is like highway ten coast to coast, whereas the final draft would feel more like route 66. After I'm done writing the first draft i can look at the paper in its entirety and then go about adding all the fiddly bits.

While the travails of a junior college student aren't very exciting I hope I found some way to make this enjoyable.





No comments:

Post a Comment